Berlin Global Advisors
Berlin Global Advisors (BGA) provides political risk consulting, transaction intelligence, and corporate diplomacy services to financial investors and corporate clients worldwide.
Berlin Global Advisors has built a global, interdisciplinary team of senior experts to assist clients with these challenges. We analyze and consult on geopolitical, policy and regulatory dynamics that can impact our client’s strategic planning, market entries, M&A or investments in the public market. Our solutions range from strategic foresight to political due diligence and business intelligence to local support in more than 70 countries. BGA’s and our partner firm’s offices are located in Berlin, Frankfurt, London, New York, Madrid, Brussels, Washington, Beijing, and Singapore.
In our home market Germany we have particular deep understanding of public policy matters and access to decision-makers providing government affairs and strategic communication services to clients.
Beyond risk management, BGA leverages its global network to identify investment opportunities generated by political and regulatory dynamics, including new business models and solutions in security, energy, healthcare, transport, finance or infrastructure. A particular focus is on globally active families and owners. To serve them, BGA has teamed up with The Principal Alliance (TPA) an independent advisory group dedicated to working with family-controlled enterprises identifying and structuring sustainable opportunities and gaining intelligence in strongly growing markets.
BGA is the only political risk firm that combines a deep knowledge of financial markets and business with top level policy expertise and local execution capabilities. We view geopolitics through the lenses of investors, managers and entrepreneurs, delivering decision-critical advice. This makes us unique.
- 5 BGA Partners have previously worked in investment banking, asset management and business consulting and understand the needs of executives, analysts and portfolio managers. Partners curate individual teams for each client situation from a vetted and trusted group of more than 200 experts worldwide:
- 20 BGA Geopolitical Advisors: Contracted senior experts who have served in top level positions as diplomats, ministers, generals, economist and policy scholars in Europe, the U.S., Asia and Africa.
- 10 BGA Financial & Commercial Advisors: Experienced capital market and business professionals who bring in the practical perspective from management, transaction advisory, equity and bond markets and strategic communications.
- 200 + BGA Associates, vetted and quality checked policy, public affairs, intelligence and regulatory experts across the globe.
We think like investors, work like diplomats and act as entrepreneurs.
Our mission: Help clients generate Political Alpha
Berlin Global Advisors
Reasons clients hire BGA
- Understand geopolitical risks to businesses and investments in an increasingly uncertain and multi-polar world
- Reduce external risks in M&A, Foreign Direct Investments, international joint ventures or IPOs
- Navigate political and regulatory risks impacting equity, credit, currency and commodities markets
- Integrate international political risk management into business operations to protect value chains
- Defend business interests in Berlin, Brussels, Washington, Beijing and other G20 capitals
- Comply with increasing demand from financial markets and authorities to manage political risks proactively
- Stay on top of Environmental, Social & Governance policies as ESG will become a driving force for institutional investment strategies
- Gain access to Germany as the largest EU economy and Berlin emerging as “the new Washington”
- International trade & investment policy: tariffs, sanctions, export controls, FDI screening, embargoes
- M&A: political factors influencing approval by governments, EU Commission, DoJ/CFIUS.
- Regulatory risks: energy, transport, finance (banks/insurance/FinTech), infrastructure, healthcare, real estate
- Cyber threats and risks assessments
- Macro policy: Euro area, U.S., China
- German Policy: EU reform, Macron/Merkel, Berlin’s position on Italy, Greece, Transatlantic Relations, financial regulation, fiscal policy, budget, labour laws etc.
- Scenarios and strategic foresight on long term issues and developments
- Deal Advisory: Provide support for clients engaged in direct investments, equity, debt, distressed, M&A, activist situations
- Trade: Access to decision-makers, institutions, alliance building
- Crisis Support: Negotiations with governments and authorities; mediation & conflict resolution
- Business development: Identification of investment opportunities, bid support with public tenders, working with governments
- ESG (Environmental, Social & Governance): Advising asset managers and boards on corporate governance and long term shareholder value.
- Strategic Positioning: Meeting programs, curated events, outreach.
- Trade Wars
- FDI Restrictions
- Cyber Attacks
- Energy Security
- Major Power Conflict
- „America First“
- Tariffs on imports
- “National Interests” in FDI and merger approval
- Sanction policies
- U.S.-China relations
- Stricter FDI rules
- Italian banks
- Rising populism
- Conflict between Saudi-Arabia and Iran
- War Syria and Iraq
- Instability in Egypt, Algeria, North Africa
- Islamic State
- Conflict with Ukraine
- NATO tensions
- Energy security
- Cyber / hybrid warfare
- Internal stability
- One Belt, One Road power projection
- South China Sea
- National champion policy
- Hunt for resources
- Digital surveillance
- Nuclear threat to South Korea
- Global value chain implications