Berlin Global Advisors
Berlin Global Advisors (BGA) provides insight, strategic counsel and access to decision makers at the intersection of global markets, geopolitics and government policy. Our clients are institutional investors, corporations and government institutions that seek guidance and advice on policy and political developments that impact strategies, positioning, business models, M&A, market entries or investments in the equity and debt markets.
We are a global firm with 50 Partners and Advisors around the world, who bring in their expertise, judgement and network from decades of experience in government, diplomacy, the military, intelligence, finance, business and academia.
BGA partners with The Principal Alliance (TPA), an independent advisory group enabling cross-border development among leading families and family-controlled businesses active in mature and emerging markets. BGA’s and our partner firms’ offices are located in Berlin, Frankfurt, Paris, London, New York, Los Angeles, Madrid, Brussels, Warsaw, Washington, Beijing, and Singapore.
BGA is particularly well positioned in our home market Germany while hired to engage in complex situations around the world, where we can best play to our strengths: Interdisciplinarity, intellectual depth and seniority. In short: We help clients generate Political Alpha.
- GET Risk Management: In today’s volatile, uncertain, complex and ambiguous world it is paramount for leaders to take a step back and look at macro issues defining their businesses on a 3-5 year perspective. BGA‘s proprietary C-Suite consulting model GET it! evaluates the three major drivers of change that will impact the medium to long term performance of global companies and assets: Geopolitics / Geo-economics, ESG / Sustainability and Technology / Digitization. Applying a rigorous scenario planning, we help CEOs and boards to forecast and quantify risks and opportunities to be included in corporate strategies and investment planning, the equity story or transactions.
- Commercial Diplomacy: Leveraging BGA’s extensive global network, we help clients with access to government and business leaders in new markets. Understanding the peculiarities of new markets, the right introductions to elites, a deep understanding of decision makers’ agenda, an in-depth assessment of potential new business partners, a political preparation for M&A or JVs and the right positioning towards governments while adhering to high ethical standards are critical for business success in foreign countries.
- Crisis Management: Particularly in markets, where the rule of law is weak, many clients dealing with issues with governments, authorities and business partners are lacking effective legal mechanisms. BGA works with dozens of former ambassadors and diplomats to help managing such situations through dialogue, negotiations, mediation and trouble shooting. Clients appreciate our “private foreign office” approach as it adheres strictly to compliance rules while complementing litigation efforts.
Our governments and public affairs team has an established track record in helping clients to defend and promote business interests in Germany and the European Union. We provide national and international corporations with corporate affairs services including strategic positioning, policy analysis, alliance building, influencer management, advocacy campaigns, market access, support in winning government contracts, curation of bespoke events or advise on communications and media work.
- Corporations and Private Equity firms work with BGA on M&A transactions and Foreign Direct Investments. We provide political risks assessments in established and new markets, intelligence on ownership structures, reputation and background checks, compliance assessments on possible corruption or money laundering issues, identification of allies and opponents of deals, transaction-specific public affairs and lobbying support and help in winning competition & anti-trust approval, licenses or subsidies.
- Hedge Funds and other Asset Managers hire us with a particular focus on Germany and Europe for in-depth policy and regulatory due diligence and intelligence on specific equity or debt positions, political assessments in merger arbitration, support in special situations and tailored government affairs work including meeting programs with policy makers, regulators, trade associations or economists.
- Global Families and Family Offices work with BGA to identify investment opportunities generated by policy and societal dynamics in security, energy, healthcare, consumer goods or real estate. To this end, BGA has teamed up with The Principal Alliance (TPA) an independent advisory group dedicated to working with family-controlled enterprises identifying and structuring sustainable opportunities and gaining intelligence in growth markets.
Our public diplomacy team specializes in designing and executing political communication strategies for international governments, political institutions and their leaders. Working closely with our clients, we develop strategies that enable them to position themselves in key capitals of the world, communicate to top-level decision-makers effectively, mitigate the impact of crises and articulate their message across a crowded and occasionally hostile media, business and political landscape. Services include audits of media, political, and public perceptions of the client in key markets, communication strategies, media placements, content management and creation, messaging, think-tank partnerships and diplomatic advice.
Reasons to hire BGA
- Understand geopolitical risks to businesses and investments in an increasingly uncertain and multi-polar world
- Reduce external risks in M&A, Foreign Direct Investments, international joint ventures or IPOs
- Navigate political and regulatory risks impacting equity, credit, currency and commodities markets
- Integrate international political risk management into business operations to protect value chains
- Defend business interests in Berlin, Brussels, Washington, France, Beijing and other G20 capitals
- Comply with increasing demand from financial markets and authorities to manage political risks proactively
- Stay on top of Environmental, Social & Governance policies as ESG will become a driving force for institutional investment strategies
- Gain access to Germany as the largest EU economy and Berlin as the continents’ key capital – particular after Brexit
References are available upon request
- Trade Wars
- FDI Restrictions
- Cyber Attacks
- Energy Security
- Major Power Conflict
- „America First“
- Tariffs on imports
- “National Interests” in FDI and merger approval
- Sanction policies
- U.S.-China relations
- Stricter FDI rules
- Italian banks
- Rising populism
- Conflict between Saudi-Arabia and Iran
- War Syria and Iraq
- Instability in Egypt, Algeria, North Africa
- Islamic State
- Conflict with Ukraine
- NATO tensions
- Energy security
- Cyber / hybrid warfare
- Internal stability
- One Belt, One Road power projection
- South China Sea
- National champion policy
- Hunt for resources
- Digital surveillance
- Nuclear threat to South Korea
- Global value chain implications